Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wedding Veil: Plan B

The mantilla veil I desired is finished and unfortunately, does not look so great on me.  It is an old-fashioned romantic look and on me it just looks like a giant lace doily attacked me and is forming a lace colony on my head and shoulders.  So me and my mother were sizing it up and twisting it this way and that and bunching it up and fluffing it trying to figure out what to do with it.  I worked so hard on the lace edge, it would be heartbreaking not to wear it.  Even though mom "does not really like veils", she says it would look nicer on a comb and gathered, so that is what I did with it and it is truly beautiful!



When I had it finished, the mantilla veil was basically a circle with scalloped lace all around the outer edge.  I basically lopped off one side the circle, losing as little length as possible and gathered the cut edge with a very small stitch.  I prepared a comb by wrapping the base of the comb with narrow ribbon - this gives you something to tack the tulle onto.  On the inside of the comb I also stitched on a few elastic loops leftover from my dress supplies.  This will give my hairstylist something to put bobby pins through to really anchor the veil securely to my head.  With the comb completely prepared, I stitched the tulle and lace onto the comb.


This is looking pretty plain now so I have added crystal beads in between each scallop and a few extra at the bottom six scallops.  Sewing on the beads took way less time than I thought and with the crystal beads *on sale*, I can't stop!  The comb will need some kind of silk flowers sewn on it to conceal the loops and to make it look prettier.

No comments:

Post a Comment