Thursday, April 7, 2011

Making a Mantilla Wedding Veil



When it comes to sewing I am up to tackling something I have never done before and carrying it out to completion with finesse and hoping it turns out like its supposed to!  With that said, I decided that I want to wear a veil on my wedding day, but I cannot possibly bring myself to buy one of those expensive mantilla-style veils that I have fallen in love with.  The tulle on its own is dirt cheap, but the beaded lace edging and the hours of hand-sewing lace on tulle is costly.  I figure I can make one of these for a lot less and and it gives me an excuse to hand-craft yet another challenging garment.  After hours of toil, frustration and flying expletives I can sit back and say "I made it!".  After deciding on a length (elbow length), I cut out a circle of tulle about 34" in diameter.


To easily make a circle, I folded the tulle into quarters and measured a radius from the center point.  After cutting along my arc, I unfolded the tulle and voila! A circle!  Finding no wide lace edging in stock at the local sewing store, I ordered a wide scalloped embroidered organza lace trim from a handy-dandy auction site and got 9 yards for about $12.  Aack! the beautiful lace edging does not conform to the curved edge of my tulle! Disaster! Expletives!!  Crash and burn!


After much fretting and brainstorming, I discovered that if I cut a thin wedge-shaped slice out of each "scallop" repeat in the lace it will align the lace with the curve of my tulle circle.  Success!  The only drawback to this technique is the extra stitch-work and I now have to dab clear nail polish on the raw edges to keep the lace from fraying into oblivion.  I am so encouraged to see it half-way completed and now thinking about which kind of tiny sequins or crystals I will use to embellish the lace.  I will post more pictures as I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment